Ryan Gustin took command on lap 15 and then dominated the final 25 laps of Friday’s USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup main event at the Mississippi Thunder Speedway in Fountain City, Wis.
Gustin, who started third, drove by Rodney Sanders after 14 laps were in the books. After that, ‘The Reaper’ rattled off 26 flawless laps around the high side of the 3/8-mile high-banked clay oval and collected his series-best fifth career win here.
Piloting Dustin Sorensen’s backup MB Customs race car, Lucas Schott earned the Sybesma Graphics Pole Award and paced the first four laps before giving up the lead to Sanders, who held on for runner-up honors behind Gustin.
The win in the 7th Annual Dahl Chevrolet Buick GMC End of Summer Bash presented by Edelbrock was worth $3,000 to the 28-year-old from Marshalltown, Iowa, and was the 101st of his career.
Sanders led Schott across the finish line to bolster his advantage in ‘The ‘Hunt’ as well as the Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship points as he seeks a third national title.
Zack VanderBeek finished fourth after clawing his way from the 17th starting spot without the aid of a caution. His efforts earned him both the Eibach Spring Forward Award and FK Rod Ends Hard Charger Award.
Dustin Sorensen started 13th and finished fifth. Jake Timm, Cory Crapser, Jake O'Neil, Jacob Bleess and Josh Angst rounded out the top 10.
Winner Ryan Gustin is flanked by runner-up Rodney Sanders (left) and Lucas Schott (right) at the Mississippi Thunder Speedway in Fountain City, Wis.
Deer Hunting: By the end of Saturday’s 14th Annual J&S JCB Labor Day Duel presented by FK Rod Ends, the USMTS will dole out a feature winner’s check at the Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, Minn., for the 109th time—more than any other racetrack in America.
Sharing the spotlight with the USMTS will be the Arnold Motor Supply Iron Man Challenge featuring American Racer USRA Stock Cars and Out-Pace USRA B-Mods. Wissota Street Stocks will also be on the card. The pit gate opens at 2 p.m., grandstands open at 4, hot laps begin at 5:30 and racing starts at 6 p.m.
Adult general admission tickets are $20 and kids ages 12 and under get in for $5. Pit passes are $35 for adults or $20 for students ages 6-15. Kids 5 and under are $5 for the pits.
Race fans can pick up coupons good for $2 off adult admission at Casey’s General Stores locations in Austin, Blooming Prairie, Dodge Center, Hayfield, Mantorville, Oronoco, Preston, Rochester, Spring Valley and Stewartville, plus Riceville, St. Ansgar, Cresco, Osage and Lime Springs in Iowa. To find the location nearest you, visit caseys.com.
Hunter Marriott and his No. 62 Snickers-sponsored USMTS Modified will be at the Casey’s General Store located at 735 N. Broadway Ave. in Spring Valley to meet ‘n’ greet fans from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The Deer Creek Speedway is a 3/8-mile high-banked clay oval is located 11.3 miles south of I-90 (exit 209) on US 63 or 0.7 mile north of SR 16 in Spring Valley, Minn. (25262 US Hwy 63, Spring Valley, MN 55975). For more info, check out deercreekspeedway.com online.
Union Soldiers: The industrious and illustrious USMTS gas-mashers will welcome the month of September with a Sunday evening show at the Fayette County Speedway in West Union, Iowa, for the 7th Annual USMTS War in West Union presented by KSE.
The pit gate opens at 3 p.m., grandstands open at 4, hot laps begin at 5:30 and racing gets underway at 6 p.m. Spectator tickets are $20 for those ages 12 and older. Kids ages 11 and under get in free with a paid adult. Pit passes are $30.
Coupons good for $2 off adult admission available at Casey's General Stores locations in Clermont, Decorah, Fairbank, Fredericksburg, Maynard, Monona, Oelwein, Ossian, Postville, Strawberry Point, Sumner, Tripoli and West Union. To find the location nearest you, visit caseys.com.
Ryan Gustin and his Spike Hardcore Energy USMTS Modified will be at the Casey’s General Store located at 102 E. Bradford in West Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. to meet ‘n’ greet fans.
The Fayette County Speedway is a semi-banked 3/8-mile clay oval located 0.9 mile south of US 18 on SR 150, then 0.1 mile east on SR 56 (Vine St.). For more information, visit fayettecountyspeedway.net on the World Wide Web.
To connect with the United States Modified Touring Series, visit usmts.com. You can also like us on Facebook, visit us on Instagram, follow us on Twitter, connect with us on LinkedIn and watch us on YouTube. Keep up to speed, get it first and subscribe to USMTS e-News.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup powered by Summit
7th Annual Dahl Chevrolet Buick GMC End of Summer Bash presented by Edelbrock
Mississippi Thunder Speedway, Fountain City, Wis.
Friday, Aug. 30, 2019
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won. The top 12 in heat race passing points advance to the Casey’s General Stores “A” Main.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 24 Brad Waits, Rochester, Minn.
2. (2) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn.
3. (4) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz.
4. (3) 15w Alex Williamson (R), Rushford, Minn.
5. (6) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn.
6. (7) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo.
7. (8) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo.
8. (5) 6t7 Brian Albrecht, Winona, Minn.
9. (9) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 94jr John Doelle, Arcadia, Wis.
2. (4) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis.
3. (5) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
4. (6) 3c Chet Atkinson (R), North Hugo, Minn.
5. (7) 8s Tony Schill, Oakdale, Minn.
6. (8) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
7. (2) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa.
8. (3) 782 Miah Christensen (R), Sioux Falls, S.D.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 44 Adam Hensel, Baldwin, Wis.
2. (3) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa.
3. (6) 9 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn.
4. (8) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
5. (5) 19 Dustin Sorensen, Rochester, Minn.
6. (4) 23kk Erik Kanz (R), Winona, Minn.
7. (1) 6 Dustin Kruse (R), Brandon, S.D.
8. (7) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn.
MSD PERFROMANCE HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (2) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (4) 49jr Jake Timm, Minnesota City, Minn.
3. (1) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis.
4. (5) 42 Paul Niznik, Medford, Wis.
5. (3) 7 A.J. Roschen (R), Somerset, Wis.
6. (7) 4H Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
7. (6) 23b Brett Bumgardner, Hawkeye, Iowa.
8. (8) 35b David Baxter (R), Eau Clare, Wis.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #1 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (4) 19 Dustin Sorensen, Rochester, Minn.
2. (3) 8s Tony Schill, Oakdale, Minn.
3. (5) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
4. (6) 4h Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla.
5. (2) 42 Paul Niznik, Medford, Wis.
6. (10) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn.
7. (1) 51 Chris Oertel, Marshfield, Wis., MBCustoms/Mullins, $90.
8. (8) 6 Dustin Kruse (R), Brandon, S.D., Sidebiter/ChevPerf, $90.
9. (7) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo.
10. (9) 6t7 Brian Albrecht, Winona, Minn., Shaw/Adams, $75.
11. (11) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN #2 (10 laps, top 5 advance):
1. (2) 15w Alex Williamson (R), Rushford, Minn.
2. (3) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn.
3. (1) 3c Chet Atkinson (R), North Hugo, Minn.
4. (5) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo.
5. (4) 7 A.J. Roschen (R), Somerset, Wis.
6. (6) 23kk Erik Kanz (R), Winona, Minn.
7. (8) 23b Brett Bumgardner, Hawkeye, Iowa., SSR/Midnight, $90.
8. (7) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck, Earlham, Iowa., Hilsabeck/Mullins, $90.
9. (10) 35b David Baxter (R), Eau Clare, Wis., Rocket/Baxter, $75.
10. (9) 782 Miah Christensen (R), Sioux Falls, S.D., MBCustoms/JB, $75.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES “A” MAIN (40 laps):
1. (3) 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa, Hughes/TriStar, $3000.
2. (2) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustoms/Hatfield, $1700.
3. (1) 9 Lucas Schott, Chatfield, Minn., MBCustoms/Action, $1100.
4. (17) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Stoen, $900.
5. (13) 19 Dustin Sorensen, Rochester, Minn., MBCustoms/Action, $700.
6. (8) 49jr Jake Timm, Minnesota City, Minn., MBCustoms/OFI, $650.
7. (4) 07 Cory Crapser, Chippewa Falls, Wis., VanderBuilt/OFI, $600.
8. (12) 0 Jake O'Neil, Tucson, Ariz., LG2/Cornett, $550.
9. (16) 21 Jacob Bleess, Chatfield, Minn., VanderBuilt/KSE, $500.
10. (9) 99 Josh Angst, Winona, Minn., MBCustoms/Stoen, $450.
11. (10) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, $425.
12. (11) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Cornett, $400.
13. (7) 24 Brad Waits, Rochester, Minn., VanderBuilt/Stoen, $375.
14. (14) 15w Alex Williamson (R), Rushford, Minn., SSR/KSE, $350.
15. (5) 94jr John Doelle, Arcadia, Wis., Rocket/Sput’s, $225.
16. (26) 23 Adam Kates, Tonganoxie, Kan., Jet/Speedway, $90.
17. (20) 62 Hunter Marriott (R), Brookfield, Mo., Rage/KSE, $300.
18. (19) 4h Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $300.
19. (18) 3c Chet Atkinson (R), North Hugo, Minn., Sidebiter/Wagamon, $225.
20. (21) 42 Paul Niznik, Medford, Wis., Rocket/Niznik, $300.
21. (24) 17 Mike Striegel (R), Wheatland, Mo., GRT/Eagle, $400.
22. (23) 21x Travis Saurer, Elizabeth, Minn., MBCustoms/ChevPerf, $300.
23. (15) 8s Tony Schill, Oakdale, Minn., SSR/KSE, $225.
24. (6) 44 Adam Hensel, Baldwin, Wis., DirtDueler/OFI, $300.
25. (22) 7 A.J. Roschen (R), Somerset, Wis., GRT/Stoen, $300.
26. (25) 23kk Erik Kanz (R), Winona, Minn., Shaw/Action, $300.
(R) = Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year contender
Lap Leaders: Schott 1-4, Sanders 5-14, Gustin 15-40.
Total Laps Led: Gustin 26, Sanders 10, Schott 4.
Margin of Victory: 1.478 seconds.
Time of Race: 11 minutes, 17.097 seconds (no cautions).
Provisional Starters: Saurer, Striegel, Kanz (track), Kates.
Eibach Spring Forward Award: Vanderbeek (advanced 17 positions).
FK Rod Ends Hard Charger: VanderBeek (started 17th, finished 4th).
Next Race: Saturday, Aug. 31, Deer Creek Speedway, Spring Valley, Minn.
Casey’s General Stores USMTS National Championship Points: Sanders 3153, Ramirez 2948, Marriott 2813, Phillips 2678, Gustin 2625, O'Neil 2522, Kates 2066, VanderBeek 1886, Striegel 1759, Joe Duvall 1471.
USMTS Hunt for the Casey’s Cup Points: Sanders 1271, Ramirez 1243, Phillips 1227, Marriott 1182, O'Neil 952, Gustin 938, Kates 902, Saurer 877, Hilsabeck 857, Lance Mari 713.
Grant Junghans USMTS Rookie of the Year Points: Marriott 2086, Striegel 1574, Dustin Hodges 584, Carlos Ahumada Jr. 549, Nathan Hagar 415.
USMTS Manufacturers Championship Points: MBCustoms 284, Hughes 282, GRT 229, Rage 214, LG2 211.
USMTS Engine Builder of the Year Points: Hatfield 254, Cornett 254, Durham 191, KSE 191, TriStar 150.
American Racer – Kates.
Beyea Custom Headers – VanderBeek.
Bryke Racing – Doelle.
BSB Manufacturing – Striegel.
Casey’s General Stores – Marriott.
Champ Pans – Sorensen.
Deatherage Opticians – Ramirez.
E3 Spark Plugs – Schott.
Edelbrock – Hensel.
Eibach – VanderBeek.
Fast Shafts – Doelle.
FK Rod Ends – VanderBeek.
Hooker Harness – Waits.
Integra Racing Shocks & Springs – Hughes.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Marriott.
K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports – Oertel.
Keyser Manufacturing – Angst.
KSE Racing Products – Bleess.
Maxima Racing Oils – Gustin.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Striegel.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Kates.
PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain – Schott.
QA1 – Williamson.
RacerWebsite.com – Baxter.
Simpson Performance Products – Waits.
Swift Springs – Gustin, Timm.
Sybesma Graphics – Schott.
Tire Demon – Phillips.
VP Racing Fuels – Gustin.
Wilwood Disc Brakes – Crapser.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Casey’s General Stores, Chevrolet Performance, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, FK Rod Ends, Intercomp, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, K1 RaceGear by Ryan Bowers Motorsports, KSE Racing Products, Malvern Bank, Mesilla Valley Transportation, MSD, MyRacePass, Nitroquest Media, Pace Performance, PEM Racing Gears & Drivetrain, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, Snickers, Spike Hardcore Energy, Summit Racing Equipment, VP Racing Fuels, Wrisco Industries.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Boubin Tire & Automotive, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, Eagle Moon Farm, Impact RaceGear, PBM Performance Products, RACEceiver, Rancho Milagro Racing, River’s Edge Scrap Management, Tony Moro Powder Coat, Top of the World Ranch, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, Brown & Miller Racing Solutions, Bryke Racing, BSB Manufacturing, Champ Pans, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, Forty9 Designs, Genesis Racing Shocks, Hooker Harness, Hyperco, Integra Racing Shocks and Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, Maxima Racing Oils, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1, RacerWebsite.com, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Swift Springs, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wilwood Racing.